Friday, March 6, 2009

India: The Ultimate Body Image Challenge

"Are you unwell? Should we call a doctor? Your eyes are so little today", Mona asked as she closed the metal gate so the lift could begin its ascent to the 5th floor. " No, No. I'm fine, just got some little eyes today", I replied. I've had to start wearing mascara here to outline the green in my eyes making them look more lively to ease her growing concern for my 'little eyes'.

India has sort of done its number on my appearance so far and is really becoming the ultimate body image challenge. It is hard to get a good look in a mirror since no one has any privacy. There is a smudgy small mirror attached to a cabinet in the bathroom, but all of the long body mirrors are in the rooms where people are usually present. Embarrassed by my vanity, I've just done without mirrors these past few weeks.

It was not until Mona and I venture out to the crowded Sultan Bazaar to get some Indian friendly clothing that I noticed just how bedraggled and scruffy I've already become. Standing in the harsh lighting of the small dressing room, I saw the nasty pimples and blemishes decorating my once spotless back. The insensitive lighting illuminated the new dark color of my elbows and even hinted at a dimple on my pasty left thigh. As I stood studying myself in this mirror in my undershorts and sweat stained sports bra, viewing my freckled nose, my newly acquired tummy pudge, and all these other odd impurities, I knew I had met my match. India is the ultimate body image challenge. Getting a bloody scratch across my seemingly expanding forehead from a sequins on my dress added to the difficulty. I must accept myself as I am, however unmanageable.

That night, with three new Indian outfits at the picking, I prepared for the wedding ceremony we were attending. Though I planned on wearing my new tops with jeans, Mona made me wear the more ridiculous traditional bottoms for the occasion. after I dressed myself in my golden turmeric colored garb, I noticed each member of the family finding an excuse to make their was passed my room, sneaking a peak, before scurrying away to the next room. Hearing all sorts of unnecessary brouhaha from the living room, I decided to go investigating. Standing in my ridiculous get up with my forehead enhancing scratch held high, I walked into the next room to find the whole family huddled together trying to stifle their laughter. Despite Mona's protestations that I was the object of their amusement, Mom was a dead give away. No one could look at each other the whole night with out giggling.

The wedding ceremony was a treat. I got to eat delicious food , grin at my same holy man, who was of course present, and I got to see all my friends from my building. Sandeep was intrigued to see my new ensemble, but not too shy to voice his opinion of my poor choice of color, and of course commented on the red scratch cutting diagonally across my forehead. The next day, however, he paid me a compliment as I was making my way up the stairs, ignoring the lift in attempts to rectify the whole dimple thigh situation. "Hello, Casey! You look good today, MUCH better than yesterday", he said as I hiked my way passed his floor. These, stinging compliments are the only type that Sandeep knows how to give. It's okay! I made my way to our apartment where there was some fried food and a cup of chai waiting.

No comments: